So, your Independence Day weekend may be a little different this year, but one thing is the same: WRTI is here for you. We have classical and jazz fireworks planned for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Details from playlists and special shows for each day are listed below.
WRTI Picks from NPR Music
- Johnny Mandel, Who Set a Gold Standard in Popular Song and Movie Scores, Has Died at 94
- Freddy Cole, Distinguished Jazz Artist And Unassuming Vocalist, Dead At 88
- Freddy Cole, Singer Who Eluded the Shadow of His Brother Nat "King" Cole, Has Died at 88
- Someone Finally Remembered William Dawson's 'Negro Folk Symphony'
- Opinion: Black Protest Is Music. Learning The Melody Isn't Enough
WRTI Arts Desk
- Flix@5 with WRTI's Kevin Gordon Features Music from Film Adaptations of Great Books
- How Music Responds on WRTI: A Conversation with Writer Candace Allen
- The Emotional Story Behind Dmitri Shostakovich's Monumental First Violin Concerto
- Classical Album of the Week: Welcome Summer with Soprano Angel Blue's Joy Alone
- Jazz Album of the Week: Avery Sharpe’s 400 Navigates Four Centuries of African-American History