This week's Fanfare finds violinist Maria Dueñas on a star-studded label celebration, along with Christmas concerts, the Jasper Quartet and more.
Listen to The Philadelphia Orchestra in Concert on Demand
The Philadelphia Orchestra in Concert brings you Inon Barnatan playing Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 24, alongside Beethoven's 'Eroica' and Julia Perry's 'Study for Orchestra,' with guest conductor Osmo Vänskä.
The Philadelphia Orchestra in Concert features two starry works: Mary Lou Williams' 'Zodiac Suite,' featuring Aaron Diehl on piano, and Richard Strauss' Also sprach Zarathustra, with Cristian Măcelaru at the podium.
WRTI Video of the Week
Aloe Blacc, Greg Spero and Stolen Moments present "Work It Out." Featuring pianist Greg Spero and vocalist Aloe Blacc. Solomon Dorsey is on bass and Gene Coye on drums. This video is part of Greg Spero’s Tiny Room series in LA.
She's among the last living beboppers, one of the first singers on Blue Note and a pioneer of voice and bass. The legendary Sheila Jordan joins Christian McBride for a career-spanning conversation.
Florencia gives star Ailyn Pérez a rare chance to sing in Spanish. As the bilingual daughter of Mexican immigrants, she learned early on that language had the power to shape her experience and voice.
This week, classical music lovers have a preponderance of excellent options in the Philadelphia area. Let Fanfare be your guide.
Superhero bassist Christian McBride returns to the 215, and our own J. Michael Harrison celebrates 30 years on the air, in this week's Moment's Notice.
Latest Classical from NPR Music
- A violist memorializes lost voices at Terezin concentration camp
- A disciplined plea for peace – and quiet – from composer Arvo Pärt
- The Philadelphia Orchestra returns to China for anniversary of historic 1973 trip
- Emerson String Quartet: Tiny Desk Concert
- The world's largest musical instrument is in the mountains of Virginia
Latest Jazz from NPR Music
- The curious mind — and hard work — of bassist Christian McBride
- Youngbloods, Brass: Giveton Gelin, Kalia Vandever and Summer Camargo
- Pianist Jahari Stampley just won a prestigious jazz competition — he's only 24
- Carla Bley, prolific and expansive jazz pianist, dies at 87
- A shared resting place for Pharoah Sanders