This Week with Yannick on WRTI 90.1: Episode 6, Mozart and His Contemporaries
Join us on Sunday, August 16th at 12 PM on WRTI 90.1 to hear Episode 6 of “This Week with Yannick,” an eight-week radio series, hosted and curated by Yannick Nézet-Séguin.
The series offers listeners an intimate radio experience through music and storytelling. Each episode centers around a singular theme, and explores the myriad ways that the deepest connections in our lives can be expressed through music. More about the series.
Program 6: Mozart and His Contemporaries
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is one of the brightest stars in the constellation of Classical music. Behind its deceptive simplicity, his work captures both the depth and breadth of human experience. From his concertos and operas, to his symphonies and sonatas, the full scope of emotion plays out in his music.
But Mozart shares the sky with other superstars—some who lived and composed alongside him in the late 1700s, but who have not been given the same exposure in the centuries that followed. Johann Baptist Vanhal and Chevalier de Saint-Georges wrote works of great beauty and exuberance, and we’ll hear them alongside pieces by Mozart as well as composers who were influenced by him.
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No 20 in D minor, III. Allegro assai; Yannick Nézet-Séguin and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe featuring Seong Jin Cho
- Mozart: “Parto, ma tu ben mio” from La Clemenza di Tito; Yannick Nézet-Séguin and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe featuring Joyce DiDonato
- Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor (Pathétique), II. Adagio cantabile; Stewart Goodyear
- Chevalier de Saint-Georges: Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 3, No. 1, III. Rondeau; Jeanne Lamon and Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra
- Mozart: Bassoon concerto, Jane Glover and The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Vanhal: Symphony in G minor, I. Allegro moderato, Concerto Köln
- Prokofiev: Symphony No 1 (“Classical”), IV. Finale: molto vivace; Marin Alsop and the São Paolo Symphony Orchestra
- Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 4 (“Italian”); Yannick Nézet-Séguin and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe
"This Week with Yannick" airs Sundays from 12 noon to 1 PM, July 12th to August 30th on WRTI 90.1, and is presented by WQXR, New York City's classical music station and WRTI. The series is produced by Merrin Lazyan, producer of the critically acclaimed podcast Aria Code.